Thursday, April 15, 2010

My Zodiac Alert

I’m not a great follower of star signs yet I am aware that I am a Libra. Which I’ve read and been told is someone who seeks balance as the sign represents the scales. And right now I’m weighing up which option would suit my brief best, yet taking away one option would mean that the scale would be unbalanced. I don’t understand why it seems the brief has such strict criteria. When I see control in whatever format I am guided by my inner energy to resist and find the alternative path.

In my mind I’m thinking, decided on a topic, commit to it, follow through and execute the brief. It can’t be that hard. But it is. Maybe I will choose my OPTION A or maybe my OPTION B or maybe OPTION A& OPTION B! And then indecision been my next weakness takes hold, if only I were bold enough to be a true rebel I would do both. So the war wages on in my mind of which option I will choose?!

 

OPTION A-

Person- My grandpa

Age- In his 60s

Background info- He lived in South Africa all his life. I like to think he is an inventor and handy man. He used to work at Eskom and has now retired. He would have studied mechanical engineering but his family couldn’t afford to pay for his fees. He definitely has a hording disorder, keeps allsorts of what I’d call rubbish. He says all rubbish could be reused in all sorts of strange ways and you just never know when you might need the particular piece of rubbish. My grandma thinks he’s off his head and doesn’t pay much attention to all his strange inventions and innovative ways of fixing things around the house. He talks a lot with me and has been able to explain how things work to me in easy ways in the past. He also loves sharing the memories associated with the particular inventions or repair jobs.

 

Skills to be learnt- How to change a plug, how to fit a washer, how to jump start a car, how to drill a hole.

( I originally wanted him to teach me how to ride a motor bike.)

Personal relevance- breaking the perceived norms of stereotypical roles and activities women can and should not do.  Learning to do “guy” things.

(Learning to ride a motorbike would be such a freeing experience as I’d be able to have independent transport instead of relying on the family car and friends.)

 

OPTION B

Person- Gudrun close family friend of 50 years

Age- in her 60s

Background info- My grandma and Gudrun have been friends since they were teenagers. Gudrun and her family are German, and they witnessed the World War two. They moved to South Africa when Gudrun was about 13. She has many stories about the war and post war. She has interesting religious views about the Jews. Gudrun wanted to be a physiotherapist but her family did not have funds to send her to university. She became a hairdresser instead. She has been a family friend and hairdresser for years.

 

Skills to be learnt- How to cut my own hair

Personal relevance- I want to learn about world history through her memories. She has told me over the years in bits and pieces but now I would be able to put the story together.

Learning to cut my hair would be quiet liberating going against the South African norms. In first world countries such as USA been a hairdressers is highly regarded and the price of a haircut is much higher than here in South Africa. Many people overseas therefore maintain their own hair. I think having my hair cut is something I take for granted and feel that it would be a useful skill to acquire.

 

Conclusion

I AM the scale holding a pair of sharp scissors in one hand and a screwdriver in the other. They seem to weigh even, each tool providing unique knowledge and power. So now what? Well I’m hoping I’ll find my predestined answer under the My Stars section in tomorrow’s newspaper.

Peace out.  

Melissa J

No comments:

Post a Comment