Friday, April 9, 2010

The Tins that have many stories to tell

The title explains it all!

After being given the task of learning a skill from someone older than myself, I directly thought of my two grandmothers. The only problem I came across was WHAT to learn! They both have so much knowledge to share.

But after chatting to my Dad's mum, everything became a lot clearer. Her Orange Birthday Cake is something that has been in the 'Freakes' family for 53 years. She, herself, made it for every person's birthday in the family, whether it be my Dad, my Aunt, My 2 cousins or my sister or myself. I realised that speaking about this very special birthday was quite a touchy subject, seeing that she is now relocating to the Cape and the thoughts of who is going to carry on this tradition are in her thoughts day after day.

By me learning this very special tradition, it allows me to have the opportunity to realise the effort and love that went into these occassions and how much she would love to share it with me.

That's all for now!

Will update you next week!

Hayley

1 comment:

  1. Hello Hayley

    It's sounds very exciting, it seems that this cake has a lot of stories to tell indeed... imagine how each cake she baked had a story... and remember, it's not just a skill you learn, but the knowledge that comes with it: about yourself, your personal history, your grandmother's history and her motivation for starting the tradition. Why is it so important to her?
    Enjoy!
    Naretha

    ReplyDelete